Weather Update

Weather Update

During the week of February, 15-19 Ponder ISD closed school for the week due to power outages and severe weather. The school sustained substantial damages caused by freezing temperatures, resulting in busted pipes and flooded buildings. Some parts of the high school, including the gym and the band hall, were areas that were filled with water and damaged. The pig barn endured damages as well, including busted pipes and power outages. There were several people who came to help fix damages to make sure the animals in the barn were able to survive. Even though the high school had to go remote this week, the elementary and Junior High campuses were able to open up and welcome students back in person. Hopefully high school students will return at the start of next week.

Record cold temperatures were documented across the state last week. There were power outages, rolling blackouts, and water loss throughout Texas. With the power outages and cold temps, many households had to keep their water running to try to prevent frozen pipes and many families were without power for countless hours. Numerous restaurants and stores had to close for several days due to the power conservation. Families were stuck at home due to unsafe travel conditions for several days. Luckily temperatures started rising to melt the snow and ice opening roads for safe transportation again.

Written by: 4th period journalism