The Unknown Benefits of Fortnite

Is Fortnite really that bad?

Mikayla Espolt, Editor

Girls and boys across the world have been taken with a very popular video game. You know the one I’m talking about: Fortnite. But let me spit some startling statistics. Over 200 million gamers play Fortnite, each individual investing an average of 6-10 hours a week online. 35% of players admit to skipping class just to play! That may seem like a waste of time, but Stanford experts state that Fortnite encourages teens to practice “teamwork, strategic thinking, imagination, and spatial awareness.” So does that mean Fortnite is educational?

In order to test these allegations, I have recently played Fortnite and I believe that Stanford may be on to something. In order to be successful in the game, you must work with your team. For an example, if my brother wants to land at Tilted Towers, but I want to land at Retail Row, we must talk to each other and figure out which place works best for both of us. Going with that, strategic thinking is also a major part of playing the game. My team and I would have never won my first victory royale if it weren’t for our careful strategies and methods we used to lead us into triumph

At first, I thought to myself, “How did I use imagination when playing Fortnite?” But it then became obvious. Fortnite recently released a new game mode called “creative”. It’s basically just a block of land that you must build on to create what you want. I have seen many examples of imagination using this game mode. There are sniper ranges, hide-and-seek games, mazes, build-offs, you name it! And all these people were given just a block of land and materials. You definitely have to use your creativity to come up with all of the ideas that I’ve seen.

Last but not least, spatial awareness. If you don’t know what that means, it basically is the understanding of where things are and being familiar with your surroundings. Fortnite makes you notice things that weren’t there before. Say if you were walking around and noticed a house with its door open. It definitely wasn’t open a second ago when you walked by it, so why is it now? Fortnite trains your mind to pick out details and use it for your benefit.

In conclusion, Fortnite may be more educational then we care to admit. When your playing with your friends, building yourself a shelter, or just walking around, you are actually learning new skills to be taken and used in the real world. So next time you log into Fortnite, remember to stay open-minded and maybe you might learn a few new things.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “The Unknown Benefits of Fortnite”

1. Eli shifflett on January 9th, 2019 10:14 am

can you make the junior high have coding class

2. Colby Murphey on April 25th, 2019 9:15 am

I’ll tell coach slider

3. Colby Murphey on April 26th, 2019 9:06 am

There is a Tech Apps

4. Elizabeth Espolt on January 9th, 2019 10:15 am

Great article, Mikayla.
    My whole class has enjoyed reading it.
    One of my students said “your daughter is AWESOME!”

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Spotlight

Choir Field Trip!

• Featured

Countdown until end of school

• The Unknown Benefits of Fortnite

Spotlight

1st Place 3A Sweepstakes Award

• Spotlight

Student Spotlight-Curliest Hair

• The Unknown Benefits of Fortnite

Featured

Motivation Quotes!

• Spotlight

Student Spotlight-Tallest Person

• The Unknown Benefits of Fortnite

Featured

Ways to Study for the STAAR

• The Unknown Benefits of Fortnite

Spotlight

Motivation Monday

• Spotlight

Student of The Week – Most Stylish (boys)

• Spotlight

Student Spotlight-Most Stylish (girls)

The Unknown Benefits of Fortnite